Text Browser Navigation Bar: Main Site Navigation and Search | Current Page Navigation | Current Page Content
Western Europe Studies
- Added November 14, 2007
- Type: Colloquium Brief
- The Evolution of U.S.-Turkish Relations in a Transatlantic Context. Authored by Dr. W. Andrew Terrill.
- The Conference’s opening address, entitled, “Turkey’s Future Course: a European Perspective,” was presented by a German legislator with a special interest in European-Turkish relations. The speaker stated that the future of Turkey is both an external and internal issue for Europe. She asserted that the future of Europe depends on the integration of Turkey into Europe and expressed concern that Turkey was not invited to the March 2007 “Fifty Years of Europe” celebration commemorating the moves toward European unity following the Treaties of Rome. This snub sent the wrong message to the Turks.
- Added April 09, 2007
- Type: Op-Ed
- From Munich to Munich. Authored by Dr. Stephen J. Blank.
- Each month a member of the SSI faculty writes an editorial for our monthly newsletter. This is the Op-Ed for the April 2007 newsletter.
- Added February 15, 2007
- Type: Monograph
- Russia and the European Union: The Sources and Limits of "Special Relationships". Authored by Dr. Cynthia A Roberts.
- How best to engage an increasingly authoritarian Russia that is neither fully excluded nor embraced by the leading Euro-Atlantic institutions remains a critical unresolved security challenge nearly 20 years since the Cold War’s end. This analysis of the difficult engagement between Russia and the European Union reveals why shallow cooperation and costly standoffs characterize Russia’s troubled partnerships with the West.